lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Lynx bug when accessing < type items on Gopher protocol domai

From: Dio9sys
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Lynx bug when accessing < type items on Gopher protocol domains
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 23:51:35 -0700

Hello!

I wasn't sure how best to get hold of folks, and wasn't sure if this was
already known, so please let me know if I'm just adding noise to the crowd
:)

On the latest version of Lynx (at least on the Linux version), if you visit
a gopherhole that has the < item type (specific in gopher+ specs for sound
files) and follow the link, it will immediately open the link in your
system-default media player without giving a prompt or showing the full
file extension to validate that it's a correct file.

In the example I found, I wrote a simple html file, specified it as < on my
gopherhole and then opened it on Lynx (on my amd64 Manjaro Linux
computer).  It immediately tried to open in VLC, which then crashed as it
didn't know what to do with an html file. It lists as (SND) on the page,
marking it as a sound file, without checking that it's the supported WAV
format mentioned in the spec

If possible, I think it would be a really great idea to have some kind of
"are you sure?" prompt showing the full file name and extension before
opening the link, so as to reduce the chance of malware or other such
nastiness happening.

If you would like an example, you can visit gopher://dio9sys.fun on Lynx
and go down to the final link on the page, titled Test.

Thanks for reading all this!

Regards,

-Dio9sys, your friendly neighborhood gopher nerd