lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Alternative User-Agent header

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Alternative User-Agent header
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 12:57:06 +0000 (UTC)

Travis Siegel dixit:

> For what it's worth, epub books are already html.  An epub file is just
> a zip file renamed to epub.

This is not entirely correct.

Most EPUB files contain HTML for the chapters, but the index is a
home-grown XML file (toc.ncx, IIRC). I cobbled together a quick
extract and convert utility that also replaces hardcoded nbsp with
regular spaces as some ebooks mistakenly use them for layout (for
justification), even though that’s the UA’s job.

http://www.mirbsd.org/cvs.cgi/contrib/hosted/tg/unepub?rev=HEAD

It’s very far from perfect but did the job with the few epubs I got
from some other site (not fichub) but HTML is better, it’ll work in
lynx directly.

> Simply extract the epub file into a directory of your choice, and
> generally (though not always) the html files are layed out in name
> order, and you can simply open each one in your browser, or if so

This is totally useless without the index because they can be in
any order. You NEED the index to have chapter order.

> http://www.softcon.com/files/softconreader.exe

Looks like Windows® though.

tl;dr: from a lynx user’s PoV, EPUB is a crude hack whereas proper
HTML is preferrable as it works directly.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Gestern Nacht ist mein IRC-Netzwerk explodiert. Ich hatte nicht damit
gerechnet, darum bin ich blutverschmiert… wer konnte ahnen, daß SIE so