lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Alternative User-Agent header

From: Travis Siegel
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Alternative User-Agent header
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 23:14:52 -0400

For what it's worth, epub books are already html.  An epub file is just a zip file renamed to epub.

Simply extract the epub file into a directory of your choice, and generally (though not always) the html files are layed out in name order, and you can simply open each one in your browser, or if so inclined, just open lynx on the directory, and go down the list of html files reading them one at a time until you've finished the book.

With that said, there are times epub creators do stupid things with the html files and their names, such as making the names 40 characters long, and not numbering them in order (or at all), and in those cases, the only way to read things in order is to open the toc.ncx file (if there is one), or using the content.opf file for a complete reference to the html layout and order.  I prefer toc.ncx files when available, because they are much simpler than content.opf files, and it's much easier to pick out the files in order.  The only caveat to that is that some epub creation programs don't produce proper toc.ncx files, and in those cases, you generally get only a single entry in the table of contents file, which doesn't help anybody, so no clue why the programs generate such broken content files, but there it is.

90 percent of the time, you can simply extract the epub file, then load the files in order in your browser to read them as desired.  It's the other 10 percent of the time that requires an actual epub reader to extract things in the proper order.

For what it's worth, I did write an Epub reader, and you can find it at:

http://www.softcon.com/files/softconreader.exe

It doesn't handle content.opf files, so if your toc.ncx file is broken, you'll only be able to read the chapters in the book by typing them in on the file line, but as long as your toc.ncx file is properly formatted, the reader will work fine.

I have another version that does work with content.opf files, but there's still too many bugs in the opf parsing to release that version, so it remains in testing mode for the moment.

The only issue with that epub reader is that sometimes (for reasons unknown to me), the html parser I use to display the text drops shortcuts onto your desktop, without asking for permission to do so, nor telling you it did so, so sometimes you'll find hundreds of html shortcuts on your desktop.  The fastest way to remove these is just to go into your desktop folder and remove all the .htm or .html or .xhtml files.  Unfortunately, this is a result of the html interpreter built into windows, and there isn't anything I can do about this that I've discovered yet, but considering it's the only major bug I've found with it's operation, I'll take it.

There is one other bug I can't solve, though I've tried, and that is that if there is a vector graphics file in the epub content, (*.svg), and this file is referred to in one of the html files, it will hang with a error until you tell it no (alt-n) to trying to read/display the file.  Sometimes, it takes several iterations of this no answer before it goes away.

Otherwise, the reader works fairly well, and I personally use it for all of my epub reading, (sometimes generating toc.ncx files when they aren't present), but I plan to build a utility program that ships with the reader to fix broken toc.ncx files at some point in the future.

Sorry for the rambling message, but I hope it helps (someone). Softconreader is of course free, as are all of the programs in my files area.