lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Broken Gopher-to-Telnet links

From: Dario Niedermann
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Broken Gopher-to-Telnet links
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 17:44:56 +0200

Lynx 2.8.9dev.11 seems to have a problem with Gopher-to-Telnet links where the selector part is empty. If a Gopher server sends a line like this:
8Foobar BBS[ TAB ]username[ TAB ]foobar-bbs.net[ TAB ]6359
Lynx will produce this link:

        telnet://username@foobar-bbs.net:6359/

which AFAIK is correct. But if the server sends a line with an empty selector field, like this:
8Foobar BBS[ TAB ][ TAB ]foobar-bbs.net[ TAB ]6359
Lynx will produce this, instead:

        telnet:///

whereas I, for one, would expect:

        telnet://foobar-bbs.net:6359/

While RFC 1436 (Gopher protocol) does not say what to do when a Telnet link has an empty selector, the UMN Gopher client does the least surprising thing and telnets to foobar-bbs.net on port 6359 with no preset username.

I've set up a gophermap on my server where you can test this:

        <gopher://darioniedermann.it/1/Computing/telnetlinks>

Regards,
--
Dario Niedermann   -:-   finger my email address for PGP key, etc.

Also on the Internet at:            <gopher://darioniedermann.it/>
                                <https://www.darioniedermann.it/>