lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] real woes: lynx2.8.6dev.7, OR ncursesw, OR japanese-utf8

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: [Lynx-dev] real woes: lynx2.8.6dev.7, OR ncursesw, OR japanese-utf8
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:36:02 +0900

I updated to lynx2.8.6dev.7, and at the same time changed from slang
to ncursesw, and added the --enable-japanese-utf8 configure option.

The initial display of Japanese pages seems okay, except for the first
link on the page, which is shifted to the right so that the left-most
character of the link is duplicated, although the original character
is not highlighted.  As you navigate down the page, all the links shift
to the right leaving one or more kanji on the left side of the link
duplicated.  Apologize that I don't have time to make a screenshot, but
maybe the following will make it through the mail to someone:

Before navigating to the link:
     [58]卒業生・同窓生の皆様へ

After moving down with vi keys to the link:
     [58]卒卒業生・同窓生の皆様へ
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only the underlined part is highlighted in reverse.

I seem to recall a similar report but thought it had been fixed.  Is it
a configuration problem on my side?  How to fix?

There is another VERY strange result of changing to ncursesw (or using
--enable-japanese-utf8 option), that is that pasting into, for example,
the g)oto status line really is sluggish.  Previously a cut-n-paste was
instantaneous so that even a long URL went on all at once.  Now even a
relatively short URL pastes in letter by letter as if being typed by
a fast typist.  It must be a result of one of the three of updating to
lynx2.8.6dev.7, using ncursesw, or using the --enable-japanese-utf8 option.

The --enable-japanese-utf8 is working!  This was one important reason for
building a new Lynx since the number of utf-8 pages increases daily.  I
used the following pages for testing:
  http://bythebay.web.infoseek.co.jp/pc/mojibake61.html
  http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~akvo/amika/Mac_de_uni.html
  http://homepage1.nifty.com/kuono/ml/
If there are others which better exercise the code, let me know.
THANK YOU Mr. Hataguchi!!

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999