lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev NLS

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev NLS
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:31:50 -0500

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 02:28:37PM +0100, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:
> Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 04:18:42PM +0530, SreePriya. G wrote:
> > > A "fr.po" file does exist in the "po" subdirectory though.
> > those are stubs for the language files in the regular tar or zip - the
> > actual
> > files are in a different download,
> >     ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.3/po
>
> This fr.po is completely broken and only about 2/3 of the
> messages are translated. Besides the header indicates that it
> was meant for 2.8.2.

Yes, the fr.po file is stale. Unfortunately, I don't know enough French
to fix it, and no one has volunteered to do so. Since I'm fairly
preverse, I leave that file lying around to encourage someone who
can fix it to do so. Some of the translations are probably valid, so
"completely broken" is an exageration.

> I find the policy concerning translations in Lynx terribly
> confusing and this is very likely the reason that none of the
> distributions carry versions of Lynx that include translations.

I always hoped the "Translation Project" would do all of the work of
collecting and distributing message files, and Lynx would include
the finished product. However, less than a dozen translators have
volunteered over the past 3 years. There's also the dead horse about
what should go into the distributions and what shouldn't. Read the
Lynx-Dev archives for the historical details.

> It would be nice to see it included at
> ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.3/po/finished/

I only have time to maintain http://lynx.isc.org/po, which is sometimes
copied to ftp://lynx.isc.org/po.

> Could some of you kindly provide me with the names of the
> maintainers for other distros such as Redhat, Mandrake etc..?

This should be coordinated by the Translation Project, not Lynx-Dev
(imho).

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/index.html
http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/po/registry.cgi?domain=lynx

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Don't think for a moment that I enjoyed doing that because I didn't.