lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev How to visit webpage with HTTP-AUthentication Required ?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to visit webpage with HTTP-AUthentication Required ?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:06:55 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Fiber McGee wrote:

> The message below from address@hidden
> was forwarded by one of the list maintainers.
>
> >Hello sir,
> >
> >Im visiting a webpage which requires HTTP-Authentication. but lynx is not
> >asking me any password but giving the direct error that this is forbidden.
> >
> >I have tried to access that website with this link also but its again not
> >working

HTTP Authentication in lynx works; it is impossible to help further
without more concrete information about your problem.

> >http://user_name:address@hidden

This is not valid URL sytax; lynx does not support it, although some other
software does.  The "user_name:Password@" part will basically be ignored
by lynx.  Lynx only recognizes it in the URL scheme for which it is
actually defined, that is, FTP.

Embedding passwords in URLs is a bad idea.

  Klaus