lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev NLS

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev NLS
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:57:32 +0100

Henry Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you are going to create two distributions, then create one _complete_
> NLS distribution, and another distribution _entirely devoid_ of the
> gettext *package*, i.e., no intl/ and no po/ subdirectories, and no
> ABOUT-NLS file.

That was my point and the reason I used the word devoid - which
to my ear rings like an emphatical without.

> > 3) Make sure that the po files to be included in the archive
> >    are fully translated - or very close to, and that they are
> >    syntax-checked.
>
> Well, this is nice, but rather idealistic.  Who's supposed to do the
> maintenance, the "make sure" this and that?  Even if you volunteer
> now, how long do you propose to continue your [unrewarded] efforts?

I just don't see the usefulness of including half finished work
anywhere - then rather do without it, but that's truly a matter
of opinion.

> >    4) In addition to distributing them in an archive, two ftp
> >    directories could be kept, one with the finished translations
> >    and one with unfinished ones so that in the latter case others
>
> Again, Jim and Tom are pretty much working around the clock as it is.

Just a suggestion..

> > 5) Package maintainers of the various distributions should be notified
> >    of the existence of the ftp directory with the finished translations.
>
> No.  _That_ is the job of the maintainer.  The present distribution and
> the Lynx support web site(s) clearly indicate where the po files can be
> downloaded from.  If the maintainer doesn't care, then there's nothing we
> can do.  Any "decent" package maintainer would be on the lynx-dev mailing
> list or be reading the flora archives regularly.

I don't know..it seems they are rolling out new versions of the
various distributions with a few months intervals now. Maybe
the package maintainers need to be serviced better; my
suggestion was a way of doing that.

> > My own full and syntax-checked Danish translation of 2.8.3 has
> > been ready for some time now and resides as
> >
> > http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/trans/da/lynx-2.8.3.da.po
>
> So what's your beef, anyway?  All anyone has to do is substitute that
> "da" for their own locale.  To give a concrete example, I g)oto
> "http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/trans/ja/"; and lo and behold
> there's "lynx-2.8.3.rel1.ja.po   10-Oct-2000 20:50   150k."

I'd wish I could read Japanese and see the beautiful glyphs in
Lynx, you're so lucky you can read that! ;-)

But I really can't get any closer to what I think needs to be
done than in my previous posting. Your remarks, while
commendable, don't change anything.

Regards,

Morten

--
"Either we live by accident and die by accident, or we live by plan and
 die by plan."                                        (Thornton Wilder)