lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:03:18 +0400 (SAMT)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> >  As for this particular feature, I suggest adding another lynx.cfg option -
> > VISITED_LINKS_MODE, with values named after choices that appear in popup
> > that
> > appears on dev16 lynxes, plus one more, SELECT. So, if anything but SELECT
> > is
> > selected, that popup is hidden. The default value for it could be the one
> > that
> > matches old behaviour (but I like new one). I could add that I like that
> > popup is placed directly at V.L. page (but placing that popup at Options
> > page
> > TOO could be useful). Also this popup doesn't really take too much screen
>   ^^^
> Why the need for all the duplication?  PLEASE DON'T add a lynx.cfg option if
> you're not willing to remove the .lynxrc one.

 As other say, no .lynxrc option exists for it. It should be saved somewhere,
and I don't insist on lynx.cfg at all.

> > lazy to recompile lynx in order to try that functionality. If Henry still
> > cares so much about extra kilobyte of the code that feature adds, we can
>                             ^^^^^^^^                  ^^^^^^^
> It has nothing to do with 1kb; it has to do with the worth of the so-called
> "feature" itself.  All it does for me in its present form is 1) take away
> 2 lines of information that I want on the Visited Page, 2) when I try to
> change back to a regular list, after pressing enter on the accept changes
> I am thrown back to the page I was viewing before rather than a revised
> Visited Page, and 3) it just keeps moving the visited links more and more
> to the right so that long ones quickly have to be wrapped (making them
> harder to read AND wasting more space).  To me it is worthless and I don't
> want it, but there is no way for me to turn it off.  Why do I have to be
> the one to create and maintain a backout patch?

 1) For Tree mode, those 2 lines added are not visible since page is scrolled
    to the link denoting current document - that is last link on that page. I
    don't know what's for other modes.
 2) I agree that this should be fixed.
 3) This seems a problem, but for Tree mode only. I don't know how to fix this
    (probably support for TAB should be verified).

 If it's so worthless just for you, you can write a patch to disable it. I
hope that you won't be willing to do so that much when all problems listed
will be fixed.

> I also am very much opposed to allowing the Visited Page posting (writing
> to disk) privileges.

  I see this as useless feature too (but I'd like to be able to have much more
bookmark files than 26, so I won't have to invent one-letter association for
bookmark files. Having implemented ability for adding (and probably
deleting) links to/from arbitrary files will allow user to save favorite links
from his/her session to some file - IMO 95% of links in the V.L. page would be
useless for user, and will allow nice aid for thorough categorization of
links).

> __Henry

 Best regards,
  -Vlad