lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev22 - patch to fix PSRC mode with SOURCE_CACHE!=NONE

From: Scott Bigham
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev22 - patch to fix PSRC mode with SOURCE_CACHE!=NONE
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:16:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Well, I think you have handled the receiving-data part elegantly.
> It could be more general, by not being in HTML.c but in a separate
> file (yeah, it's probably a pain to add a new source file to all the
> relevant makefiles & scripts).

Not to mention the VMS scripts...  I know, I'll look at it.

> The newer libwww has a generic T-piece HTStream for this kind of thing
> (HTTee()), like UNIX tee.

Newer than we're currently using, you mean?  Yeah, that probably would
do exactly what I needed.  Do we have plans to migrate to the new libwww?

> I don't like though that the source_cache_chunk and source_cache_file
> are passed around as global variables; they should probably be structure
> members (maybe indirectly) of the HTParentAnchor.

Well, they're actually members of the HText; the global variables are
just a temporary holder to get the newly created source cache from the
HTStream that generated it to the HText that needs it.  I agree that
it's a Gross and Disgusting Hack(TM); if you can think of a better one,
go for it... ;)

> You have managed to decipher the HTStream stuff, so getfile() shouldn't
> be a big problem for you. :)

Enh.  The only real problem with the HTStream stuff was tracking the
flow control through half a dozen nested function calls faking OO;
getfile() is just an impenetrable monolith.  Okay, okay, I'll take
another look at it... ;)  Just let me wait till dev23; I haven't been
able to follow the flurry of patches around that area.

                                                -sbigham