lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV more about DJGPP port, INSTALLATION

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more about DJGPP port, INSTALLATION
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:17:31 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> Resently we discussed about 8+3 problem for those who
> compiling DJGPP DOS port under Win32.
> I was curious, which is the correct URL for "DOS" unzip?
>
> Checking out http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/MSDOS/unz531x3.exe
> with unzip.exe and unzip32.exe I was surprized:
> it is happend unzip32.exe compiled with VFAT-SUPPORT (unzip32.exe -v).
> So, we got a loop!
> (latest DOS unzip support long-filename under Win32 DOS box, against our aim)

I don't have Win32, so the following may not be correct.  The problem
seems to be that DJGPP is looking either for the original long unix
names or the same names truncated to 8+3.  The unzippers with long
filename support are using the Win95 convention of long filenames linked
to the actual DOS filename (something~1).  It may be that DJGPP can deal
with this if the DJGPP.ENV has long filename support set on.  It is off
by default, so when looking strictly via the DOS operating system,
neither the full filename nor the truncated filename can be found.  The
two options seem to be either 1) get DJGPP to accept the Win95 long
filename conventions (? with LFN=on in DJGPP.ENV), or 2) use an unzipper
such as unzip.exe (rather that unzip32.exe), which will truncate
directory and filenames.

Perhaps someone who has Win95 can check out whether DJGPP will really
function with long filenames.  If so, this probably needs to go in the
INSTALLATION file.

                             Doug

__
Doug Kaufman