lynx-dev

Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works no

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works now]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:45:31 +0900 (JST)

> The description of my four defines is loose, but there really isn't any
> point in clearing them up until the real defines are changed into more
> meaningful and platform independent ones.  They still need to be recorded
> somewhere.  We used to keep ifdef info in the Makefile.  Where are we
> keeping it now that the makefile is going away?

The original Makefile was re-named Makefile.old, and is being preserved
(It's not `going away'.) in the docs subdirectory as an important record
and as a template for people who might have reason to compile by hand.

It's my personal opinion that the record of your modifications, however
"loose", should be in the CHANGES series of files.  Tom and Klaus both
created one, "CHANGES.configure" and "CHANGES.chartrans".  The Win32/DOS
port is as much a revolutionary change to Lynx.

This is out of my territory, but if Klaus is willing, I'd like to suggest
that the reference to README.win-386 in the 1997-02-28 entry of CHANGES.new,
"See README.win-386 for more info.", be substituted with the pertinent
information itself (the part about the creation of the defines), preferably
as verbatim as possible.  There is no need to include the compile particulars
in the CHANGES file, and the INSTALLATION file would be more straight-forward
without the porting information.  Also, as long as a reference is made to
"README.win-386" from any other file in the distribution, it can't be erased.

__Henry
;
;