lynx-dev

Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works no

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works now]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:08:04 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

[Wayne:]
> > The description of my four defines is loose, but there really isn't any
> > point in clearing them up until the real defines are changed into more
> > meaningful and platform independent ones.  They still need to be recorded
> > somewhere.  We used to keep ifdef info in the Makefile.  Where are we
> > keeping it now that the makefile is going away?

Good question.  I don't know the answer.
It used to be Makefile (for non-VMS things), then makefile.in +
README.configure.

Since some of those don't apply just for Unix, someone compiling for some
other system shouldn't have to look in a for-Unix makefile.

> The original Makefile was re-named Makefile.old, and is being preserved
> (It's not `going away'.) in the docs subdirectory as an important record
> and as a template for people who might have reason to compile by hand.
>
> It's my personal opinion that the record of your modifications, however
> "loose", should be in the CHANGES series of files.  Tom and Klaus both
> created one, "CHANGES.configure" and "CHANGES.chartrans".  The Win32/DOS
> port is as much a revolutionary change to Lynx.

I don't think there is anything of interest in CHANGES.chartrans which
isn't in CHANGES.new, and it isn't up to date, so I plan to remove it.
I don't know about CHANGES.configure.

> This is out of my territory, but if Klaus is willing, I'd like to suggest
> that the reference to README.win-386 in the 1997-02-28 entry of CHANGES.new,
> "See README.win-386 for more info.", be substituted with the pertinent
> information itself (the part about the creation of the defines), preferably
> as verbatim as possible.  There is no need to include the compile particulars
> in the CHANGES file, and the INSTALLATION file would be more straight-forward
> without the porting information.  Also, as long as a reference is made to
> "README.win-386" from any other file in the distribution, it can't be erased.

I don't mind changing CHANGES(.new), but a summary of all the possible
ifdef symbols that may be used in the code is something else.  So maybe we
should create a file README.defines or defines.txt or something similar
for that.

     Klaus

;
;