lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Semantics of DOSPATH

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Semantics of DOSPATH
Date: 15 Jul 1997 09:48:56 -0600

KW> On 14 Jul 1997, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

>> But it looks like what I'm going to need to do is to again use a
>> platform define and add OS2-specific code that mimics the effects
>> of DOSPATH whereever DOSPATH is used to deal with filesystem
>> issues, and not where DOSPATH is used for something else.

KW> Of course it's best if you can do it in a way that we can put the
KW> your necessary changes in the development code...

What do you recommend, beyond putting all of my changes in an #ifdef
OS2 block and compiling with -DOS2?

>> I'm finding the development code a lot harder to work with than the
>> released code, but I guess that's to be expected.  It may be a
>> while before I get it working on OS/2.

KW> If you have any specific suggestion to make the development code
KW> easier to work with (other than the DOSPATH confusion), let us
KW> know.

Well, a lot of it I think will clear up over time (I hope).  For
example, some of the code checks for NO_UTMP, while other checks for
HAS_UTMP.  Eventually it will all use the new HAS_UTMP style, right?
Really DOSPATH was my biggest stumbling block.

Also the configure script wasn't very helpful, which doesn't really
surprise me.  About 1/4 of all the configure scripts I've seen work
on OS/2, so I didn't (and don't) really expect it to.  I'll include a
Makefile.os2 when I submit something that can be folded in.

All in all not as bad as I had thought it was at first, I think it is
mostly harder to work with than the released code because of my raised
expectations.  Now that I _know_ I'll have to slog through the code
looking for things to change it doesn't seem as daunting.