lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Semantics of DOSPATH

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Semantics of DOSPATH
Date: 14 Jul 1997 08:47:06 -0600

[JFM wrote:]
>> > ...question regarding the DOSPATH define.  What does it mean?
>> > The README.386-win says that it's for "All DOS-like systems", but
>> > how much DOSishness is implied by this?

>> too much

WB> Yes, too much.  I got carried away and added the screen management
WB> to it because pdcurses was being used by me for Win32 and DJGPP.

Oy.  Okay.  In my Lynx 2-7-1 port, virtually all of the changes I made
were to places where a URL is generated from a pathname and the
default code assumes that absolute pathnames start with '/' (using
EMX's method for adding drive letter support to UNIX ports, absolute
pathnames have to start with driveletter-colon).  Otherwise almost all
of the UNIX code (except some of the DIRED code) worked without
change, and I didn't have to touch screen management.

I've only been working with the development code a little bit, and I'm
going to have less time to do it soon.   But it looks like what I'm
going to need to do is to again use a platform define and add
OS2-specific code that mimics the effects of DOSPATH whereever DOSPATH
is used to deal with filesystem issues, and not where DOSPATH is used
for something else.  Instead of repeating the hack I used in my 2-7-1
port over and over again, I'll probably copy HTDOS_wwwName and
HTDOS_name and use those.  I'm finding the development code a lot
harder to work with than the released code, but I guess that's to be
expected.   It may be a while before I get it working on OS/2.