lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx 2.7.1

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx 2.7.1
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 08:38:55 -0500 (EST)

Alan Cox <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The problem is that the optimizer chokes on LYmainloop.c (I had the
>> same problem on my Alpha last week). Even if you reboot, the compiler won't
>> eat the file :-)
>> Fix? Well, if you know how to do it, you can compile LYmainloop.c by hand
>
>Using gcc should resolve this problem.
>
>> Longterm fix: The developers of lynx shoudl strip down LYmainloop.c a bit or
>> change the make-rule for OSF/1.  Regards,
>
>Actually it may be worth someone raising the problem with that file with the
>Digital Unix compiler group

        The problem files are SGML.c, HTML.c and LYMainLoop.c, which have
enormous switch() sections.  In the vanilla Makefile, I added -Olimit 2000
for the libwwwFM files, which was big enough to get SGML.c fully optimized,
and -Olimit 4000 for the src/* modules, which was big enough for both
HTML.c and LYMainLoop.c.  I think the default is 750, so you can reduce
or eliminate the -Olimit, and let optimization be bypassed for some or all
three of those files.  It should work fine without them optimized, and the
compilation time on OSF goes down considerably.

        I agree, though, that it would be better if the OSFers encouraged
DEC to improve the efficiency with which its native compiler optimizes
switch() sections.  There's no such problem for DECC on AXPs with VMS
instead of OSF.

                                Fote