lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 14:22:55 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

:I think a tar package for each distribution is reasonable.  It should
:include the Makefile, the compiled binary, and the various documents
:and configuration files.  After downloading, the user runs "make
:install", modifying the Makefile if necessary.

I've placed all the docs in a file called lynx2-6.docs.zip.  It basically
contains everything that was in the http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/2.6/ so
there's the CHANGES files, the help files, the about_lynx stuff, the
sample lynx.cfg, etc.  I've also made the README in the ftp dir say that
we strongly recommend custom builds for system-wide installations.  I
think archiving the Makefile with the binary may be a good idea as would
userdefs.h.  I was going by how things were done at Kansas and following
that rule.  I've never changed userdefs.h anyway, and I generally don't
have to change the Makefile either (yes, Ultrix compiles out of the box).

:I thought briefly about stripping everything but "install" from the
:Makefile, but I think it's educational to keep it as-is, so the users
:are aware that (a) Lynx is home-built, and (b) many other platforms
:and configurations are available if they want them.

I mostly thought of the binary distribution as something that a user would
go for.  Someone who was on an ISP unwilling to upgrade (as mine is) and
who really didn't want to go through the trouble of compiling the
executable.

For instance, the UKans README says:

Pre-compiled versions:
        lynx<version>.<system>.exe.Z

        Instructions to install the pre-compiled versions are given in the
        INSTALLATION file.

        Note: pre-compiled versions will be limited to those systems used at
        the University of Kansas (at least those I can get access to) and any
        that are contributed by the Lynx community.

and the one I put up reads:

This directory contains lynx binaries collected by Subir Grewal
<address@hidden>.  Since I haven't compiled most of these binaries
myself, I cannot vouch for their stability.  I have made an attempt to
only accept binaries from people I know and trust, though.  If you have
any problems with the lynx binaries here, please do send me mail.

You should get a copy of the lynx2-6.docs.zip file.  It contains a
number of documents including help files and sample lynx.cfg that were
included in the Lynx2.6 distribution.  It is essential that you use an
updated lynx.cfg if you want to take advantage of the complete
functionality of Lynx2.6

General Lynx information:     http://lynx.browser.org/
Lynx source distribution:     http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/sources.html
Lynx binary distribution:     http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/binaries.html
Lynx 2.6 documentation:       http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/2.6/

File name                            Contributor
=========                            ===========

lynx2-6.mipsel.dec.ultrix.exe.zip    Subir Grewal <address@hidden>
lynx2-6.sunos.4.1.3.exe.zip          Subir Grewal <address@hidden>

Which is what came to mind at the time.  I also think we will have the
list of mirrors in that README file at some point.  Now, I'm willing to
collect and keep the binaries here, if the whole thing begins to take up
too much space though, I might have to pass it on to someone else.  But I
do think I can make a beginning.

address@hidden  +  Lynx 2.6  +  PGP  +  http://www.crl.com/~subir/

;
;