lwip-users

[lwip-users] Degrading performance and etharp proterr

From: Francisco Expósito
Subject: [lwip-users] Degrading performance and etharp proterr
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:20:01 +0200

Hi everyone,

I’ve implemented a websocket client that runs on a STM32F4 with FreeRTOS and lwIP 1.4.1.

The client is supposed to send the machine status to the server each 5 seconds (plain text message).

I let the client run for 2.5 days and the result is the following:

-          After 2 hours running smoothly, the client starts experiencing delays. For example: it doesn’t send anything during 15 seconds and all of a sudden it sends 3  status messages in a 1 second period.

-          Things get worse until server raises a timeout and disconnects the client because it is not able to send anything in a 30 second period.

-          The client is able to reconnect, but (since delays persist) it is disconnected again by the server. I’ve got a ~ 12 hour period of connection/delay/disconnection.

-          After this period of instability, I’ve got a ~ 12 hour period during which everything runs smoothly (status messages are delivered each 5 seconds).

-          And so on so forth.

I logged everything: OS tasks memory and CPU consumption and LWIP stats. Everything seems to be fine:

-          OS tasks don’t run out of memory and CPU consumption is under control.

-          All lwIP memory indicators are below the “available” marker and they have no errors triggered.

-          lwIP sys indicators remain below the maximum level and no errors are triggered.

-          The only thing that points to an error is the ETHARP log:

o   XMIT remains stable at 5.

o   RECV counter increases until 65.461 and then drops to 0 (I assume it is a 16 bit counter).

o   CACHEHIT increases linearly.

o   PROTERR gets regularly incremented until a final value of 28.

Any clues anyone?

Thank you very much!

Fran