lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Changing MAC address of network interface?

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Changing MAC address of network interface?
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 10:27:33 -0300

Hi,
as long as you are not using an application protocol that embeds layer-2 info in application data, you shouldn't have any issues with buffered data in lwIP, since it does not hold layer-2 info; it is added by the driver. You would need to restart your DHCP or AutoIP, and your PPPoE. SNMP is UDP and so not buffered, so that is it for included apps and IPv4. IPv6 might also need some restart of the node discovery process as neighbours would have old (and wrong) information.
If I am missing something, please let me know.
As per established data flows, other hosts will send to the old MAC until their respective ARP cache entries expire, and that depends on their respective timeouts. I've seen upto 4 minutes as normal. And yes, this not something you are expected to do on a normal operation, so resetting is the best choice.