lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] forwarding and NAT

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] forwarding and NAT
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 15:33:11 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 01:48:51PM +0100, Marleen Vos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking around to see if lwip supports forwarding from PPP
> (serial) to Ethernet (in both directions),

Yes, it works in the master branch.

> and if NAT was possible.

lwIP does not have NAT support, there was a task about it but it didn't
materialise. NAT is quite hard to do correctly, require huge amount of
memory (I guess you are actually talking about stateful NAT), and in my
opinion this is outside the scope of a small IP stack. If you need NAT
or forwarding I am personally suggesting using Linux on ARM or MIPS SoC,
Linux have a more-than-comprehensive NAT support with NAT helpers for
many hard-to-deal-with protocols.