lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Lwip SNMP support: adding LWIP_IPSTACK_MIB2 Compile-Ti

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Lwip SNMP support: adding LWIP_IPSTACK_MIB2 Compile-Time configuration
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:46:07 +0000

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 18:33 +0300, Mike Kleshov wrote:
> I'd like to share my experience with SNMP too.
> I had to add SNMP support to my application. I looked at lwip's SNMP
> agent and decided that it was too big and complicated for me (I didn't
> need all the features.) So I decided to create my own SNMP agent. The
> result is a small (650 lines) and simple SNMPv1 agent with no write
> support. I didn't need MIB parsing either, so OIDs were hard-coded in
> binary representation.

OK, so it sounds like this idea of replacing lwIP's SNMP with a
roll-your-own version is something that we should do our best to
support.

> I didn't need any of the MIB-2 data either. So I guess it is possible
> to have an SNMP agent and not have MIB-2 info collection.

I meant "is MIB-2 required for the agent currently in lwIP", not "is
MIB-2 required for all any SNMP agent".

In general, if the SNMP agent already in lwIP is considered too
heavyweight, is there any interest in cutting it down, either by adding
a complete replacement along the lines of your version, or by making
more of the features in the lwIP agent compile-time configurable?  I've
no idea how feasible either of those are, but wondered if it warrants a
task opening in savannah.

Kieran