lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Patch for bug 23119

From: Ken Smith
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Patch for bug 23119
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:45:49 -0700

Update:

I haven't done any work getting ethernetif.c reworked in the 1.3.0
style.  However, I believe I have found the reason why packets are not
getting on to the wire.  My ethernet driver only had enough space in
its transmit queue to store two pbuf's (600 bytes + header) so any
packet larger than that basically threw my driver into a fit.

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I still have some work to do on
my upgrade to lwIP 1.3.0 and understanding the numerous configurables
but I'm at least reliably transmitting and receiving now.

One last comment and question.  The release notes for 1.3.0 [1] and
the page for writing a device driver [2] don't give me the impression
that I should have to completely rewrite my ethernetif.c when
upgrading from 1.1.0.  Granted, there is enough information there
between the sample ethernetif.c that comes with 1.3.0 and the wiki to
give a developer who is upgrading the idea he needs to rewrite that
file.  But, since it is not a file that is part of the stack, rather,
it is a file that the developer maintains himself, he might come to
the conclusion, as I did, that he has already done the work of
creating that interface layer and doesn't need to do it again, that
the ethernetif.c that comes with 1.3.0 is just maybe a nicer way to do
it.  This is doubly true when, after upgrading the rest of the stack,
it works.  For relatively large changes like this, where concurrency
issues might arise if something is overlooked, perhaps more explicit
upgrade instructions are in order.  Or have I missed a key piece of
documentation?

   Kind regards,
   Ken

1. http://lwip.wikia.com/wiki/LwIP_version_1.3.0_release_notes