lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] mem_malloc return NULL

From: Akshat Bisht
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] mem_malloc return NULL
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:20:09 +0530

Hello,

None of the four questions were answered... :( Did i say something worng?

Regards,
AB

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Akshat Bisht <address@hidden> wrote:

Jifl,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Jonathan Larmour <address@hidden> wrote:
Akshat Bisht wrote:
> I don't have any means to read the debug values. When if i enable
> display functions, i won't have any means to "read" it. Am i sounding
> confused? All i wish to say is that i don't have means like JTAG, etc.
> to read back any thing from my kit.

How were you able to tell mem_malloc was returning NULL?

I was able to tell that because in pppmain the program was getting inside the

  if (!p) {
      //light led

    LWIP_ASSERT("p != NULL", p);
    pc->errCode = PPPERR_ALLOC;
    goto out;

i set an LED there.

> Ok here is my problem: i increased MEM_SIZE to 2000 (if i put anything
> more the code is no longer executed. Even with the increased size,
> mem_malloc returns NULL..

Are you short of memory on this target? Do you know how much you should
have free? In other words, has the program become too big for available
RAM? You should check how much RAM it uses against how much your target has
got. How to do that will depend on your development environment, tools, etc.

I'm using IAR's Workbench for ARM with PowerPAC OS. Target is LPC 2129. When i changed PPP_MRU size from 1500 to 200, it works fine. Still PPP is not going up and i'm not getting any data out of the serial port.

May i add a few questions here?
1. what is the lwip "main task"? I understand that there are in all 3 tasks(or threads), "tcpip", "ppp", "lwip".  I call pppInit() and tcpip_init() from my own task, does this task become lwip main? i plan to call the http_server example from this next.

2. can i do without writting a thread oriented sys_timeouts()? till now it's a simply -
struct sys_timeouts *sys_arch_timeouts(void) {
return &lwip_system_timeouts;
}
3. Apart from ppp, tcpip, is there any other thread under lwip? I'm asking this because i was currently done away with sys_thread_new and in place have placed direct MY_OS_TASK_CREATE function calls in place of it in ppp.c and tcpip.c

4. How do i manage the buffer at sio.c level? my processor has a 5 byte stack, but i guess i will need more than that?

Thanks and regards,

Akshat

Jifl
--
eCosCentric Limited      http://www.eCosCentric.com/     The eCos experts
Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge, UK.       Tel: +44 1223 245571