lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Choosing lwIP

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Choosing lwIP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:52:38 +0200

That's true: I think Altera has chosen the Interniche stack because they get support for it and don't have to do it on their own. Also, the Interniche stack has some upper-level protocols which are not included in lwIP (since lwIP focuses on the TCP/IP part of networking, not the upper-level protocols). But from what I can say (I evaluated the Interniche stack after Altera moved to it), I think technically, there is not that much difference: the only things I saw Interniche supports and we don't (YET!) are IPv6 and checksum-on-copy (which is under development in lwIP and I can't even remember if it was the Interniche stack which supported this...)

Anyway, I have to admit the lwIP stack has a hard time against the Interniche stack with Altera products, because you get the license for free when you buy Altera products and it is better integrated into the Altera IDE (Add-ons for Eclipse). But if you don't mind writing a bit more of your own code instead (to make up the Interniche-IDE-integration), lwIP is still a good competitor, of course! -> That's why I use it!

Simon

Pettinato, Jim wrote:
With a bit of digging, it appears to me that Altera farmed out the stack porting/maintenance task to interniche tecnologies, inc. - TCP/IP networking is not Altera's core compentency so I can understand the move. Now they don't have to worry about keeping up to date or supporting issues with the stack software.
* *
__

*James M. Pettinato, Jr.*

Software Engineer

E: _jim.pettinato_ <blocked::mailto:address@hidden>address@hidden <blocked::mailto:address@hidden> | P: 814 898 5250

*FMC Technologies **Measurement Solutions Inc.*
1602 Wagner Avenue | Erie PA | 16510 USA
Phone: 814 898 5000 | Fax: 814 899-3414
_www.fmctechnologies.com_ <blocked::http://www.fmctechnologies.com/>