lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LwIP port on Blackfin, some questions and 1.3.0

From: S. Ali Tokmen
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LwIP port on Blackfin, some questions and 1.3.0
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:38:28 +0100

Hello, Stéphane

Analog Devices has normally been using lwIP 1.2.0 as of VisualDSP 5.0; I'm
pretty sure about it since in our product we've been using some features
that didn't exist in the old (0.6.something) release. If you think you're
not linking with the correct lwIP version, please double check the .lib's
name and the include paths of your VisualDSP project.

The major version change (VisualDSP 4.5 to VisualDSP 5.0) is actually not
due to functional changes but to architectural ones: VisualDSP 5.0 has been
rearchitectured and recompiled with Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (I guess
VisualDSP 4.5 was with Visual Studio 6 SP6), but most functionalities stay
the same and some major bugs (in their System Services API library for
example) have disappeared. They've also upgraded to lwIP 1.2.0 and fixed
bugs in their Ethernet driver.

To upgrade the lwIP library used by Analog Devices, you may try the
following:

    1. Do a checkout of version 1.2.0
    2. Copy and paste on to that checkout the lwIP source code from
VisualDSP 5's "src" folder.
    3. Your versionning tool (I use Tortoise in Windows) should then show
you that there are some differences. Now do an "update" on your checkout.

As for your real-time audio project, how does it work? Are you using VDK or
the lwIP core with your semaphore code? If you're having problems with
dropped audio frames, are you sure you're using DMA the correct way? If
you're having lags, are you sure you have the right buffer sizes?

If you're doing the whole job with VDK, you must know that the lwIP
performance (mostly when opening connections) is extremely dependent on VDK
settings. For better performance, you should also enable all optimizations,
mostly "whole program optimization" (compiling then takes twice more time,
but the result is 20-30% faster!).

I cannot give you details about what has been happening in AD's world for
the past month since I've changed job, and now will be working on Enterprise
Service Bus systems (which has nothing to do with embedded computing or
lwIP). Perhaps there has been some important changes that I'm not aware of.

Cheers

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com

GSM (fr): +33 66 43 00 555 [Bouygues Telecom]
GSM (tr): +90 555 266 52 73 [Avea]

My AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo IM
contact details are on http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/