lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Sending large packets

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Sending large packets
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:03:52 +0100

Goldschmidt Simon wrote:
Scatter-gather at driver level? I thought that's mandatory (at least for TCP)!

It isn't. TCP has no relationship to the presence of scatter gather. Not even socket APIs (despite any presence of readv()/writev()). Certainly s-g exists in high-end and some mid-range ethernet MAC chips, but cheap, cheerful and popular MACs like CS8900a don't support it.

As to your problem, Julian, it might help to increase the limiting defines as it seems that TCP is somehow limited and can't fill pbufs up to MTU size at all times. So you should check the configured TCP window and TCP_SNDQUEUELEN (or what it's named, that's the count of pbufs simultaneously being enqueued). TCP slow start might also limit the segment size on connection start.

I'm not sure Joolz said it was at connection start.

Joolz, as well as what Simon and Kieran have said, I think you need to look at a packet trace (with ethereal or tcpdump), so in particular you can see what the receive window of the peer is at the point these packets are sent.

Jifl