loco-dev

[Loco-dev] Improved documentation

From: Janico Greifenberg
Subject: [Loco-dev] Improved documentation
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 09:39:11 +0200

Hi,
Jörn and I yesterday began work on a graphical user interface and put together
a homepage and some documentation on the project and the already existing
functionality. It is uploaded at savannah please read it and send in comments
and corrections. The description on the savannah project page is also updated.

In the manual you won't find an installation guide yet, which is because I am
considreing to change back to make instead on using cons.
Pro make:
    - make is the standart tool
    - make is well integrated with automake and autoconf, which are easy to use
    and have lots of docs about them
    - autmake produces targets like make dist make install etc. which are very
    useful when we want to do a distribution.
    - autoconf/configure do all that searching for needed packages which is
    needed even in the development phase.
Pro cons:
    - cons checks more reliably on which file are to be rebuild
    - cons can handle directory trees better than make
    - cons is not a standart tool and I always like non-mainstream stuff

I don't know if it's possible to integrate cons with autoconf. Currently I'm
tending towards using make. Please send me your opinion.

Tasks:
Having reached the current stage of development, I think it's time to talk
about, who wants to do what. I'd like someone to develop the commandline app
loco-msg and later the commandline tool for filesharing. Jörn is working on the
GUI which will be based on GTK+ (or rather its c++ wrapper GTK--). This does not
mean to say he is the only one working on it. I'm working on the implementation
of the tree, but proxy features could now be implemented in libloco too. So
let's discuss who will do what.

Having documentation and project descriptions online, I sent email to
address@hidden asking them to include loco in the GNU project.

So long
   Divo
--
Warning! Taking anyone (especially yourself) too serious will be harmful