lmi

Re: [lmi] Unexpected character in file history

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Unexpected character in file history
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 21:38:40 +0000

On 2016-06-14 20:39, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 13:39:29 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> When I pull down the "File" menu, history now looks like this:
> GC>   1 □quote.cns
> GC>   2 □quote2.cns
> GC> I'm not sure the square character is unicode "WHITE SQUARE"; it could
> GC> be something else with a similar appearance. No such character is
> GC> shown with last month's release; could this be a wx regression?
>
>  Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce this at all, so I can't test the
> fix neither :-(

If you've already developed a speculative fix, I could test it.
(I could try hacking this commit myself

https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/commit/e5e92c92ce5982662cb6c5dfd0f355ddb075da47
to add an extra condition, but I don't know how wx differentiates
msw versions at run time.)

However, would it even be appropriate to change wx trunk for this?
Perhaps commit/e5e92c9... really was a useful improvement for msw-xp
users of right-to-left alphabets. And perhaps the reason why this
happens--on my machine only--is that I'm running in a VM with a
paravirtual graphics driver. You can't reproduce it, our end users
won't see it, and it's not an actual problem for me, so maybe we
should just drop it.

> I've tested this under Windows 7 and XP, with global theme
> on and off and also with global theme on, but themes disabled for the
> lmi_wx_shared.exe binary in its properties, but I could never see any
> problem, e.g. see the attached image for how it looks for me under Windows
> XP with themes disabled.

[image apparently eaten by mailing list, but no need to resend: it's
unmistakable here]

>  Could you please look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\lmi\lmi_wx in the
> registry and check if the contents of various "fileN" values looks correct
> to you?

They all look perfect. I'll copy and paste a couple and run them
through 'od' just to be sure:

]$</dev/clipboard od -t a
0000000   C   :   \   o   p   t   \   l   m   i   \   e   r   a   s   e
0000020   m   e   \   q   u   o   t   e   -   v   o   l   -   n   o   n
0000040   v   a   r   .   c   n   s
0000047
/opt/lmi/data[0]$</dev/clipboard od -t a
0000000   C   :   \   o   p   t   \   l   m   i   \   t   e   s   t   \
0000020   s   e   q   .   c   n   s
0000027

They're exactly as I would expect: no 'LEFT-TO-RIGHT EMBEDDING'
(U+202A) character.

In "registry editor", I deleted all the keys I could, leaving only
"(default)" in lmi\ and lmi\lmi_wx, which resist deletion. Closing
"registry editor" and restarting lmi (which I had closed before
these deletions), I see the funny square character again.