lmi

Re: [lmi] Using GitWhatever

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Using GitWhatever
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 01:56:03 +0200

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 23:43:06 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2015-10-03 13:10, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 00:58:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> I am willing to try anything that does not require a github account.
GC> >
GC> >  Only participating requires it, i.e. you can't leave comments on the
GC> > reviews without one. Nor push any code. You can definitely pull though.
GC>
GC> My local repository is svn, which doesn't do "pull".

 Actually it does, rather nicely, using git-svn. Also, if you really,
really want to use only svn you can still use it with GitHub because it's
also an svn server. Just try cloning https://github.com/vadz/lmi (this is
the contents of the "clone URL" field at https://github.com/vadz/lmi if you
choose "Subversion" clone type just below it).

GC> No. All I want is a straightforward way to get a '.patch' file that is
GC> acceptable input to patch(1). For example:
GC>
GC>   https://github.com/vadz/lmi/commit/a7ebd4b
GC> I looked over the whole screen, and found no way to get a patch that I can
GC> apply. So I was going to reply in immense frustration to complain about
GC> github, but then I stumbled upon an idea that seems to work. Just append
GC> ".patch" to the commit URL:
GC>
GC>   https://github.com/vadz/lmi/commit/a86a082.patch
GC>                                             ^^^^^^

 I'm impressed that you deduced it from the first principles. I was going
to recommend doing it but I, of course, found this somewhere on the web a
couple of years ago when I needed it... BTW, this is "officially"
documented in https://github.com/blog/967-github-secrets and this post also
mentions another completely undiscoverable feature of the diff viewer: that
you can append "?w=1" to the URL to suppress showing whitespace-only
changes.

 Regards,
VZ