lmi

Re: [lmi] Using GitWhatever

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Using GitWhatever
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 23:43:06 +0000

On 2015-10-03 13:10, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 00:58:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> I am willing to try anything that does not require a github account.
>
>  Only participating requires it, i.e. you can't leave comments on the
> reviews without one. Nor push any code. You can definitely pull though.

My local repository is svn, which doesn't do "pull".

> GC> I already have an account at this most excellent company, which
> GC> I'm glad to point people to for lmi support:
> GC>   http://www.tt-solutions.com/fr/home/
> GC> and am of course willing to 'git pull' from there if you like
>
>  There is already a bare-bone private git server running here, I could just
> open it up for the lmi repository if you wish/would prefer it to Github.

...and svn won't "pull" from there, either.

> GC> (even if it lacks a "nice, coloured and syntax highlighting"
> GC> diff viewer; of course, you could simply copy github's, except
> GC> that github is not free software).
>
>  I could install GitLab (https://about.gitlab.com/) which is basically
> exactly the open source version of GitHub... Please let me know if you
> think it would be worth it.

No. All I want is a straightforward way to get a '.patch' file that is
acceptable input to patch(1). For example:

  https://github.com/vadz/lmi/commit/a7ebd4b

I tried copying it from the screen into a here-document, but the first
three lines look like this...

 virtual wxVariant to_variant(any_member<Input> const& x, Input const&,
std::string const&) const

{

- return wxString(x.str());

+ // Strings containing new line characters are currently not displayed

...so I'm missing the "+++" and "---" lines as well as "@@" information
(and, because it's double-spaced, maybe there are CRLF line separators).

I looked over the whole screen, and found no way to get a *patch* that I can
*apply*. So I was going to reply in immense frustration to complain about
github, but then I stumbled upon an idea that seems to work. Just append
".patch" to the commit URL:

  https://github.com/vadz/lmi/commit/a86a082.patch
                                            ^^^^^^