lmi

[lmi] File open fails with error message; re-open does nothing

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] File open fails with error message; re-open does nothing
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 11:59:02 +0000

File | New | Illustration | OK
File | Save as "erroneous"[.ill]
File | Exit

cd /directory/where/saved/file/resides
sed -i erroneous.ill -e '/StateOfJurisdiction/s/>.*</>wrong</'

[reload lmi]
File | 1

As expected, a messagebox appears:
  Error
  Value 'wrong' invalid for type '12mcenum_state'.
  [file /lmi/src/lmi/mc_enum.tpp, line 103]
Dismiss it [OK].

Pull down the "File" menu; "erroneous.ill" is still the first item
in file history. What should happen if it's selected? I believe end
users would expect lmi to make a (foredoomed) attempt to load the
file again. (Perhaps they failed to capture the messagebox text
the first time, and want to repeat the procedure in order to copy
it into a problem report. Or maybe they just hope that repeating
the same steps will produce a better result--they're only human.)
Instead, nothing observable seems to happen; it's as though I tried
opened.

Am I somehow misusing the wx doc-view framework, so that lmi thinks
the erroneous file is open when it is not?