lmi

Re: [lmi] 'lmi' icons on msw W7

From: Václav Slavík
Subject: Re: [lmi] 'lmi' icons on msw W7
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 17:26:12 +0200

Hi,

On 3 May 2012, at 17:58, Boutin, Wendy wrote:
> We've observed strange behavior with lmi's icon on the msw
> W7 platform. The icon gets assigned to other msw applications'
> icons and randomly changes. For example, the icon assigned
> to 'lmi_wx_shared.exe' should be 'lmi.ico', but mine uses
> the msw media player icon today. Yesterday, I observed it
> use the msw help icon.

I was able to reproduce this myself. It seems that Windows 7 is no longer
compatible with 1-bit ICO files, which lmi.ico is. The official requirements
for application icons are that they should be available in 16x16, 32x32, 48x48
and 256x256 sizes, in 24-bit, 8-bit and 4-bit color bit levels (with the
exception of 256x256 one, which is only 32bit w/ alpha):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511280.aspx#color
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511280.aspx#size

Notice how 1-bit is not even mentioned there. The bug goes away if you convert
lmi.ico into higher-depth bitmaps. Attached is lmi.ico with the minimal changes
needed to make it work on Windows 7: I removed the 1-bit images and replaced
them with identical 4-bit ones.

Alternatively, we may include identical copies in the other color depths; let
me know if I should do that too.

You may still see wrong icons after recompiling with the updated lmi.ico. If
you do, then restarting Windows should fix it (maybe even logging off). The fix
from  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2396571/ works even with unmodified
lmi.ico, but only temporarily, until the next restart.

Regards,
Vaclav