lmi

Re: [lmi] Different behavior observed with 'File | Save'

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Different behavior observed with 'File | Save'
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 02:49:37 +0200

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 13:23:06 -0400 "Murphy, Kimberly" <address@hidden> wrote:

MK> While testing with wx-2.9.0, I observe a different behavior
MK> when going to save a newly created illustration.
MK>
MK> Consider:
MK>   F | N | I
MK>   OK
MK>
MK> I want to save the case and immediately observe that the
MK> 'Save' button (Ctrl-S) is disabled. Checking the File menu,
MK> 'Save as...' (Ctrl-A) is the only option enabled. Ctrl-S
MK> is only enabled if a change is made to the default input
MK> prior to hitting "OK".
MK>
MK> Next, consider:
MK>   F | N | C
MK>   OK
MK>
MK> Here, I observe that the 'Save' button is enabled. Again
MK> checking the File menu, both 'Save' and 'Save as...'
MK> options are available, as I would expect.
MK>
MK> This is different behavior than with lmi-20090929Z, which
MK> was built with wx-2.8.10, where both 'Save' and 'Save as...'
MK> are enabled for a newly created illustration and census
MK> having default input.

 Hello,

 Thanks for describing the problem so precisely, I can easily see it as
well. And while I didn't have time to rebuild LMI to test it, I think I
might know what is causing it: it may be due to SetDocumentSaved(true) call
in MakeNewIllustrationDocAndView() in illustration_view.cpp. This basically
tricks the document into thinking that it had already been saved even
though it wasn't. And "Save" is intentionally disabled when the document
had been already saved and not modified since -- there is no reason to save
it once again in this case, is there?

 Maybe I'm wrong as this seems to be done for the "phantom" document and
not the real one but this seems like the most likely explanation for now.
I'll try to really debug it a.s.a.p. In the meanwhile I have a question for
Greg: do you know/remember why was this call needed?

 Thanks for your bug report,
VZ