lmi

[lmi] compilation problem with htmlize() and g++ 4.3

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: [lmi] compilation problem with htmlize() and g++ 4.3
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:40:14 +0200

 Hello,

 I'm getting this when compiling the latest cvs:

license.cpp: In function 'const std::string& license_notices_as_html()':
license.cpp:122: error: call of overloaded 'htmlize(const
std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&)' is
ambiguous
miscellany.hpp:79: note: candidates are: std::string htmlize(const std::string&)
license.cpp:78: note:                 std::string<unnamed>::htmlize(const
std::string&)

 It seems that this function is defined in global namespace in
miscellany.hpp and in an anonymous one in license.cpp. And my g++ (Debian
4.3.2-1.1) doesn't like it. I think it is correct, too, but before starting
to dig into the Standard to find the appropriate chapter and verse I'd like
to suggest to rename one of these functions to avoid the problem entirely
because IMO (I'm afraid I won't be able to produce an appropriate reference
to Human Design Standard here...) it's confusing to human beings to have 2
functions with the same name doing different things even if the compiler
could deal with it. So what about renaming the private htmlize() in
license.cpp to something else, e.g. htmlize_licence_text()?

 As usual, if you agree I'd be glad to make a patch/change it.

 Thanks,
VZ