lmi

Re[4]: [lmi] How to build lmi from source on GNU/Linux

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[4]: [lmi] How to build lmi from source on GNU/Linux
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:18:43 +0200

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:53:17 +0200 Vaclav Slavik <address@hidden> wrote:

VS> On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 15:41 +0200, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
VS> >  I admit I simply don't understand how is it possible for this to
VS> > happen.
VS>
VS> This is strange: I can reproduce this problem on my Linux machine (IOW,
VS> not specific to Cygwin) with wx-2.8's wxwin.m4, but not with trunk's
VS> wxwin.m4:

 In fact this is not strange at all, LMI configure.ac simply doesn't work
with wxWidgets 2.8 wxwin.m4 file at all as it uses m4 macros which are only
defined in the trunk version. The only confusing thing is that autoconf
incorrectly reports the _first_ occurrence of a macro which wasn't
recognized and not the one which really wasn't expanded. In this case, the
latter is the AC_MSG_ERROR() inside WX_CONFIG_CHECK(): because wxwin.m4 in
2.8 doesn't define WX_CONFIG_CHECK(), it's not expanded itself and its
arguments are not expanded neither.

 Sorry for being quick to blame Cygwin and, especially, losing your time
with automake version changes when it was my own fault all along.

 Anyhow, the question now is how should this be best fixed. I can either
make it work using the 2.8 m4 macros or simply include the trunk version of
wxwin.m4 in LMI CVS and use it. An advantage of the latter approach is that
you won't need to set ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS variable any more. And it's also
quicker/simpler to do as nothing needs to be changed, of course. The [only]
disadvantage [that I can see] is having file which might need to be updated
periodically in LMI CVS.

 Does this seem like an acceptable trade-off or would you prefer me to
change configure.ac to use wx 2.8 macros? Notice that the generated
configure script will work with wx 2.8 wx-config in any case, wxwin.m4 is
only used when creating the configure script.

 Thanks,
VZ

P.S. In any case, you can test autoconf build right now by replacing the
     $wx/wxwin.m4 file with the one from here

     http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxWidgets/trunk/wxwin.m4?view=co

     (or you can put it somewhere else and modify "wx" environment variable
     to point to it, of course)