lmi

Re: [lmi] Two trifling help-cursor anomalies

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Two trifling help-cursor anomalies
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:50:20 +0000

On 2008-02-29 14:23Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:56:14 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

I'd like to withdraw my comments in light of your explanations.

[concerning EVENT_SYSTEM_CONTEXTHELPSTART, msdn says:]

>       This event is not sent consistently by the system. This is a known
>       issue and is being addressed.
[...]
> [...trying that is...] probably good enough for
> LMI needs...).

Ignoring it is good enough, and probably the wisest course.
Sometimes exquisite refinements are worthwhile, but not when
they must be built on a foundation of sand.

[...snip interesting discussion of ms "word" and "excel"...]

> This is why it can show help for tabs correctly so easily
> -- they're not really different from any other controls for them, they have
> to do everything themselves anyhow.

It's no surprise that static controls are magical when all
controls are magical...

> GC> (2) In ms "word 97" and "excel 97", Shift-F1 gives contextual
> GC> help even on static controls.

...and therefore I see no need to emulate this quirk.