lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] product editor patch

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] product editor patch
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:52:37 +0100

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:46:05 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> If you want to implement a dynamically word-wrapping wxStaticText
GC> in wx, then please go right ahead.

 There is already wxStaticText::Wrap() but it's not ideal.

GC> As for wxTextCtrl, we certainly don't want this to be editable in
GC> fact, so I was thinking that a read-only wxTextCtrl would be just
GC> perfect. Do you see a concrete or user-observable disadvantage?

 I agree that there is not much to be said about them and it's definitely
useful to use a read-only wxTextCtrl instead of wxStaticText if you want to
allow the user to copy the text. However this doesn't seem to be the case
here (why would you want to copy the labels?) and having a cursor appear in
the labels is IMO very unusual and could be surprising to the user. The
fact that when you double click (or click and drag but this is harder to do
accidentally) the control a word is selected can be considered a
disadvantage too.

 Regards,
VZ