lmi

Re: [lmi] axes editing controls

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] axes editing controls
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 05:23:45 +0000

On 2007-11-27 18:25Z, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> Greg Chicares wrote:
>
>> An exception might be the control used to specify the upper bound
>> for "Duration". That's different in kind from the axes themselves
>> and could therefore be a spincontrol.

[but it certainly doesn't have to be changed to a spincontrol...]

> This control is actually the more complicated case, so simplifying it
> to single type would be useful too.

It's perfectly all right to simplify it to a single type.

> What I'm aiming for is not
> necessarily using single (C++) type for all axes here, but single
> base type more specific than wxWindow, so that we can manipulate the
> control without dynamic_cast<>:

AFAICT, if you want, you can actually go all the way to the
perfect simplicity of one single C++ type (wxComboBox) for all
axes. I guess we could use wxControlWithItems, but that achieves
nothing because we'd never want a wxChoice or wxListBox here.

In the editors for '.db4' and '.tir' files:
 - I don't think any spincontrol is used today; and
 - no combobox needs to be changed to a spincontrol, because
 - it is not important to use any spincontrol at all.
We discussed, and dismissed, the idea of changing some comboboxes
to spincontrols. Now, if I understand correctly, what we're talking
about is retaining the current choice of controls, and simplifying
the underlying code. That's what I think you're proposing, and I'm
endorsing it.

The preceding discussion applies to two types of files. I notice
that the editor for '.rnd' files uses spincontrols uniformly,
and I'm not advocating a change there unless you see some reason
to recommend a change. But I think that's a different matter
completely, because the '.rnd' editor doesn't have the 'axis'
concept. As far as I can see at a quick glance, no other product-
editor file type (except '.db4' and '.tir') uses any spincontrol.