lmi

[lmi] axes editing controls

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: [lmi] axes editing controls
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:51:02 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking at the axes editing code in product editor patch and have
some questions about it and the code that deals with setting axis'
value (for the 3rd and more axes that are not shown in the grid) and
adjusting max value in the grid in particular:

Currently, both of these controls are always implemented as wxChoice,
even for axes like Issue Age or Duration, where the list of allowed
values is rather large integer range. Would wxSpinCtrl be better
suited here? Picking Duration value from 100-items choice control
that doesn't even fit on screen and needs scrolling under wxGTK can
be a bit tiresome...

I'm asking, because even though the code uses wxChoice,
MultiDimAxisAny and related classes use more generic wxWindow in
their API instead of wxChoice or some wxChoice-derived class. This
design makes it possible to use any controls for axis' value
selector, but on the other hand, it uses several dynamic_casts to
accomplish this and that's something I'd rather avoid if I can.

Clearly, if the GUI should use wxChoice for all axes, then the code
could be simplified -- it could use SomeChoiceClass instead of
wxWindow in MultiDimAxisAny and friends and avoid dynamic_casts
completely. But if it makes sense to use different controls (be it
wxSpinCtrl for Age an Duration as I suggest above or some other
control for another axis), then MultiDimAxisAny should continue to
use wxWindow (or some other class more generic that wxChoice) in its
API.

Thanks,
Vaclav
--