lmi

RE: [lmi] calculation summary GUI

From: Boutin, Wendy
Subject: RE: [lmi] calculation summary GUI
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:54:12 -0500

Evgeniy Tarassov wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Boutin, Wendy <address@hidden> wrote:
> > [Please reply to all so we get immediate responses in
> > the office]
> [Replying to all and adding your (Wendy) two other addresses so that
> the mail gets delivered faster]

Thanks, I really appreciate that!

> > I'm testing the new calculation summary GUI and would
> > like to offer a suggestion: display newly selected
> > columns when 'OK' is selected in the calculation
> > summary GUI instead of clicking 'OK', then editing
> > the individual ('Ctrl-E'), and rerunning the illustration.
> > I see logic in using only the calculation summary GUI
> > to change the displayed columns, but maybe there's a
> > more technical reason for keeping it the way it is,
> > so I'm interested in hearing if that's the case.
>
> Sorry i don't really understand what should it do. Is it about:
> 1) displaying the "calculation summary column selection" dialog
> (File->Properties) every time  an illustration data is changed via
> "calculation summary" dialog (Ctrl-E or via Illustration->Edit_cell)?
> [or]
> 2) recalculating the "calculation summary" html output (the window
> with the summary data in it) automatically when user changes
> "calculation summary column selection" (File->Properties)?

The second one: 2). After discussing this with Rick, who's
discussed it with Greg too, I think there are a few details
to consider. Notably, what to do if there are multiple
calculation summaries open in the program.

> > Also, I noticed that saving a file causes the new selected
> > columns to become the default when running a new illustration,
> > or even closing the program and starting over. I assume it
> > happens because the columns are written to
> 'configurable_settings.xml',
>
> Yes, it is because configurable_settings.xml is overwritten by the
> application and gets the new values written in it.
> Probably the question is more about:
> Do we want to treat "calculation summary column selection" as a global
> persistent property or as a local (local to running session, or local
> to an illustration?) property?

This is my trouble spot; I keep confusing the global versus local
settings. In the global arena, I think it works as it should.

> Maybe that column selection could be added into the illustration
> editing dialog too (just right after "supplemental report" tab). So
> that a user could change the global property value (stored in
> configurable_settings.xml), and also change locally (vis-a-vis the
> particular illustration) the calculation summary column selection. Do
> you think it would improve the usability? And more importantly would
> not it confuse users (having two places to edit the same thing could
> confuse)?

Actually, I think it may confuse users, but that's just my opinion.
Does anyone else have a vote?

> > but is there a way to maintain the original default even if
> > a file gets saved?
>
> I think it is related to Greg's message
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2006-11/msg00023.html

I agree.

> > Staggered formatting could be a real problem to users,
> > but I interpret Evgeniy's response here:
> >   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2006-11/msg00004.html
> > to mean that would require work in the wx library
> > and I doubt were armed to do that, right?
>
> I think it is fixed in 20061108T1903Z commit. The html gets slightly
> bigger but it does not seem to affect the performance.

I just looked at it and it's beautiful! Exactly what I want to
see for line spacing, header spacing, and when resizing the
calculation summary window. Thanks.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.