lmi

RE: [lmi] New Calc Summary

From: Boutin, Wendy
Subject: RE: [lmi] New Calc Summary
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:22:56 -0500

I'm explicitly adding my work mail address to assist myself
with delayed delivery in mailing list posts, so please "Reply
to all" if you decide to respond.

Wendy Boutin wrote:
> Ericksberg, Richard wrote:
>
> > 2) Can we lose the gridlines? Or make them softer like in
> > MS Excel? I find my eyes focusing on them instead of
> > the numbers.
>
> I find the grid lines distracting as well, but I also find
> some charm in the readability it provides for viewing values
> horizontally. I just noticed Vadim's response to this, so I'll
> have a look and provide my feedback.

I like it much better without the grid lines.

On a slightly different point, I resized the calculation summary
dialog (smaller) and noticed a staggered formatting alignment
with the column values. The staggeredness appears once numbers
start growing large enough to expand a column. Is that something
you could fix?

> > Copy / Paste to XLS
[...]
> Since that was handled so well, I'd like to ask if it would be
> much trouble to address this problem as well:
>    https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?105592
> ?

Goodness, I just checked out the latest branch code and already
see just how possible that was. Thank you so much...again. I hope
you don't mind me giving you some immediate feedback since we're
all so engaged.

I just noticed that I've transposed my wishes for these accelerator
mappings:

>    Copy spreadsheet data    Ctrl-C
>    Copy calculation summary Ctrl-Shift-C

It feels much more natural to use 'Ctrl-C' to copy the view I'm
actually looking at, which is why I'd prefer this mapping instead:

     Copy spreadsheet data    Ctrl-Shift-C
     Copy calculation summary Ctrl-C

That's what I really meant in the first place, but I obviously
didn't specify it that way. I hope that doesn't cause too much
inconvenience. And if you don't mind, it's probably best to
remove the bitmap from the new menu items because they really
don't fit with those new commands.

> Today, when you view the calculation summary and do 'Ctrl-C',
> then paste the clipboard contents to a spreadsheet, you'll
> notice a disclaimer that appears in cell $A$3. What's important
> here is to copy that same text to the clipboard with the new
> 'Copy calculation summary' function and cause it to be pasted
> in the spreadsheet. It should not appear in the calculation
> summary that's viewed on the screen, but it has to be included
> when pasting that view.

That behaves exactly as I expect and looks beautiful; I especially
like the pagination you added to the print preview.

> I understand the data format that gets copied is tab-delimited
> and the calculation summary displayed on the screen is actually
> HTML, but is it easy to make the calculation summary printable
> in addition to copyable? If it is, the disclaimer I mentioned
> in the preceding paragraph will also need to be printed. And,
> if the printability can be done, we'll need to add another menu
> item as well:
>    Print calculation summary Ctrl-Alt-P

Ah, I think what you've done with this is better than what I
suggested. I think the preview element is a good final check
before printing, especially if the calculation summary grows
wider than one page. I wasn't so sure about it at first, but
now I really like the extra level of review before printing.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.