[Linphone-users] Use A SIP Account on Link Mint Desktop

From: Dennis Filder
Subject: [Linphone-users] Use A SIP Account on Link Mint Desktop
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 19:09:40 +0100

On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 11:36:20PM +0000, jbc via Linphone-users wrote:
> I am trying to set up a connection between the Linphone Desktop app
> (using the AppImage from the Linphone website) on my Linux Mint
> computer and my VOIP service provider
> [1-VOIP](https://www.1-voip.com/). I used the Account Assistant and
> Use A SIP Account method to setup the connection. After entering the
> Username, Password and SIP Domain that I was given by 1-VOIP the
> connection fails. I see my phone number on the upper left corner of
> the window next to the search bar and it has a red triangle with an
> ! mark in it. Can someone help me figure out how to trouble shoot
> this problem?

How are you connected to the Internet?  Like 99% of consumers you are
probably sitting behind a firewalling router.  This is prone to
interfere with protocols like SIP and usually requires the involvement
of either a SIP proxy on the router (if the firmware offers that
functionality) or STUN server provided by the VoIP provider
(stun.1-voip.com in your case), so you should look into that.

Starting linphone on a terminal can give more detailed information on
what is going wrong.  You can also enable logging in Linphone directly
under Preferences -> Advanced -> Enable logs and then inspect the log
files produced (your initial message contained 0 error or diagnostic
messages leaving us with nothing to work with).

> For more back ground, I originally installed Linphone through the
> command line using apt-get. The first time I opened it I got an
> error that it [could not start tls transport on port
> 5060](https://askubuntu.com/questions/866453/linphone-could-not-start-tls-transport-on-port-5060-maybe-this-port-is-already).
> was able to fix this by the following command:

Just out of curiosity: What is the current version of Linphone in Mint?

> 1-VOIP technical support installed the Windows version on their
> computers and verified that the app will work with 1-VOIP and were
> able to send a SMS message. So, hoping I can figure out why it is
> not working on my computer.

That's a pretty impressive level of dedication for tech support.