Re: [Linphone-users] Re: FTBFS of linphone 3.1.2 on Fedora 11

From: Matěj Cepl
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Re: FTBFS of linphone 3.1.2 on Fedora 11
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:32:45 +0200

Dne 28.8.2009 11:04, Simon Morlat napsal(a):
2) The second one is much more problematic I am afraid. So far Fedora
package has video disabled, and I would like to make it enabled (there
is so much talk about video communication, that it could greatly help in
linphone's popularity; I know that it is still rather basic, but I think
competition is not much better, so it should be worthy).
Unfortunately, linphone seems to depends in compile time on ffmpeg,
which is absolutely no go in the official Fedora repository. I can see
four possible solutions for this:
I'm suprised with that.
Why ffmpeg is "no go" ? If you disable H264,WM*,H263 and mpeg4 codecs, there is
as far as I know no problem with redistribution of ffmpeg with respect of
patents and GPL. Maybe I missed something ?
Well, I am not a ffmpeg maintainer, but just that the reality with Fedora is that we don't have ffmpeg in the official Fedora repos. Maybe it is the preference for GStreamer, I really don't know. I can only say, that I don't feel like maintaining ffmpeg-patent-free package. And from looking at the dependencies, it seems to me that there are just few packages which would have make sense to be in Fedora proper with ffmpeg-free. But, as I have said, I am not a maintainer, so I would just keep it as very very last resort.
Well I do not think gstreamer solved anything. If I understand we simply count
on the end user to infringe the patents and corrupt the GPL... Or let the end
user buy decoders from fluendo (unfortunately fluendo has no encoders, so it
won't help linphone).
Cannot it work directly with libtheora? Sorry, just random question.

And concerning "infringing the patents" ... I am a Czech so I have no legal problem to use ffmpeg for my private use. The problem I have is caused by my employer being from that crazy country where they recognize software patents ;-).
I think Fedora,debian and others should do legal things as much as possible,
and thus there are no plenty of solutions: use patent free codecs: theora,
snow, schrodinger, vorbis, speex...
Unfortunately, xiph doesn't seem to be on RH IRC @ the moment (and it is absolutely awesome what he does with Thnuselda ... http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/theora/demo{,1-8}.html), so I have to ask you ... did anybody made any testing/comparison of free codecs for VoIP comparing them to the proprietary ones specifically for VoIP use? I mean, I guess, there are different requirements on video codecs for VoIP and video codecs for compressing movie clips (speed & compression × quality of the image), aren't they?
But there are plenty of 100% legal things and very important features (such as
libswscale api) in ffmpeg, not to distribute it would be a disaster for the
performance of video applications.
I understand.
I'm unrelated within gmane.comp.voip.linphone.user (don't even know what it
is), you can simply use the mailing list see below:
http://www.linphone.org/index.php/eng/contacts
gmane.org is a bidirectional news2email gateway with archiving. Some of us prefer to use news clients for reading tons of email lists we read :).

This is a very interesting debate. I think a solution would be that ffmpeg
decide to change their license to something more compatible with patents
(Apache ?)
As a *former* lawyer, let me emphasize that there is absolutely nothing license can do to change the situation around patents. It has absolutely nothing to do with licenses. So, no, I am afraid, changing to any other license cannot help.
It would be less open-source, but it would allow this great project to be used
in real world and to survive. I would like the FSF to tell his position on
this topic.

PS: if you want to chat with me for faster exchanges, use gtalk
(address@hidden) or msn (address@hidden)
This time it is me, who is more extremist with free software ... I don't use MSN/AIM and ICQ only through XMPP gateway ;-). I will try to contact you.

BTW, I am going to send you in another email my bug report on linphone ... it doesn't work well with VPN.

Matěj