[Linphone-users] Re: FTBFS of linphone 3.1.2 on Fedora 11

From: Matěj Cepl
Subject: [Linphone-users] Re: FTBFS of linphone 3.1.2 on Fedora 11
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:43:15 +0200

Dne 21.8.2009 21:05, Simon Morlat napsal(a):
I'm glad that you decided to upgrade the linphone version of fedora.
Feel free to ask me in case of troubles, and tell me if I can do something in
the source package to ease the rpm packaging work.

Thanks for the offer, and let me assure that no good deed will be left unpunished :). I have actually two requests -- one simple, other one (I am afraid) not so much.

1) it would be really helpful to get that release of ortp out of the door. We cannot just drop a package (although linphone is the only program using it, right?) and replace it with internal version.

2) The second one is much more problematic I am afraid. So far Fedora package has video disabled, and I would like to make it enabled (there is so much talk about video communication, that it could greatly help in linphone's popularity; I know that it is still rather basic, but I think competition is not much better, so it should be worthy). Unfortunately, linphone seems to depends in compile time on ffmpeg, which is absolutely no go in the official Fedora repository. I can see four possible solutions for this:

a) Somehow make ffmpeg only runtime dependency for linphone. I am not a C programmer (and even less video C programmer) so I have no clue whether it is a nonsense, but would it be possible to change linphone so that it could be compiled and run even without ffmpeg (and without video support in such case), but if somehow ffmpeg (and/or some small special bindings) would be installed on the same disk, it would know how to use them? Then somebody else could provide such bindings in some other unofficial repository in the similar manner how patended codecs (and indeed ffmpeg itself) are handled. b) Switch to something else (e.g., Gstreamer) which has this problem already resolved (in the similar manner as in the previous paragraph). Probably a silly idea. c) Probably most realistic right now is just to keep video support switched off. d) Move whole linphone to some unofficial repo. Probably not a good idea, because visibility of linphone would hugely decrease.

How is this handled in other distributions? I can see that OpenSuSE is also on 2.1.1, and Debian doesn't care about patents, right?

What do you think?

Matěj

P.S.: Is there something wrong with gmane.comp.voip.linphone.user? I tried to send the first version of this message there and it got lost without any response (not even error message came to my mailbox). P.P.S.: Putting on CC of this message the Fedora maintainer of linphone. Rakesh, what do you think about this?