Re: [Linphone-developers] GPL License - Linphone iphone

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] GPL License - Linphone iphone
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:04:42 -0500

On 13-01-18 01:56 PM, Leonard Fodje wrote:
> Dear Developers,

Not a Linphone developer, however...

> Can I modify linphone for use with my SIP services without infringing the GPL
> license? What are my limitations?

That's really a question for your lawyer (the one who will defend you in
court) to decide should you end up there.  After-all if he is the one
responsible for defending your actions it is he that should council them.

That said, I will also say that I AM NOT A LAWYER, AND THIS IS NOT LEGAL
ADVISE, however I think it's generally understood/believed that the gist
of the GPL is that anyone to whom you give the binary that is produced
from the GPL source code that you modified to produce said binary, you
must also (at least upon request) give the source code, and you cannot
restrict what they can do with said source code.

So ultimately, if you give your binary to somebody, there is nothing you
can do to restrict the source that produced that binary from getting out
into the open and even from being folded back into the open-source GPL
project.

b.