Re: LilyPond talk in German at Chemnitzer Linuxtage

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: LilyPond talk in German at Chemnitzer Linuxtage
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 13:13:40 +0100

That’s what I’ve got from this too :). Personally I think the greatest thing
with Frescobaldi is the great integration between editor and viewer, with fast
forward and reverse search and even marking selected source code in the
viewer. This makes syncing between parts much easier. I do not care much about
midi, but what kind of turns me off about Frescobaldi a bit is the lagginess
(all that functionality comes with a price I suppose), the syntax highlighting
and the lack of features of the actual editing component and the general
instability with lack of restoration features. E.g. when I use Frescobaldi
using seach occasionally crashes the program, which then requires you to
recover unsaved changes from the files in /tmp Frescobaldi put there the last
time you compiled the score.

So currently I’ve switched to using KATE configured to compile the file when I
save it. I can tile the windows to have Okular show the Score or a manuscript
by the side, point and click works out of the box (even if it is a bit slow).
This allows me to write long scores much faster than I’d be able to in
Frescobaldi. So while I respect the capabilities and features of Frescobaldi I
can unstand someone not using it.

I think maybe a nice thing would be to use the python library for a lilypond
LSP?

Regarding midi support:  Personally I’d do this externally. Create an external
program that records midi, either quantised real time or stepwise, and returns
the output as Lilypond code. This then has the advantage that it is easier to
maintain and can easily be used by whatever editor you want to use (as long as
the editor in question allows you to call an external program and insert the
output).

Cheers,
Valentin