Re: Extracting a "score diff" from two [or more] Lilypond sources

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Extracting a "score diff" from two [or more] Lilypond sources
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 01:56:57 +0100

Kieren MacMillan <kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> writes:

>> So?  I can assure you my kitchen table is perfectly useful for me even
>> though the carpenter did not constrain themselves to use only the kind
>> of tools that I myself have in the house.
>>
>> And frankly, I would not think of paying them for the additional effort
>> taken by hobbling themselves in that manner.
>
> Um… wut? That makes zero sense. An analogy that actually fits what
> we're talking about would be a chef who gave you a recipe which is
> impossible to execute without an appliance to which you have no
> access.
>
> — Kieren

Kieren, just who is the target for which you are planning to keep your
tools for extracting version change information for your musicians
confined to some set of persons without access to version control and
presumably also not to versions other than some marked printed copies?

The last commit in the LilyPond codebase from you has been in 2010, and
using OpenLilyLib takes installing and updating it via Git, doesn't it?

So how are you planning to give those tools not requiring version
control to people, and how are they going to get access to versioned
compositions to apply them to?

I just have problems figuring out the rationale behind that constraint.

--
David Kastrup