Re: optical recognition for input

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Re: optical recognition for input
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:36:36 +0000

From: Vincent Gay <vgay@vintherine.org>

By curiosity I tried it with a score produced by Lilypond, the result is
not very satisfactory. As it is, it seems to me that it is quicker to
enter everything on the keyboard than to correct what the software has
recognized.

I've not tried Audiveris; but this is my impression from the Music OCR programs I've tried.  I found PhotoScore (which came with Sibelius) essentially useless.

I do use SharpEye (http://www.visiv.co.uk/) sometimes, on a clean score, but only some very specific styles of music make it worth it.  The ability to edit on the spot, with the original in view is handy - except that the editor is extremely strange and hard to use.  The current version is fifteen years old...

Paul