Re: Transposing pitches in the lilypond file itself?

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Transposing pitches in the lilypond file itself?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:25:43 -0700

On 1/12/22 08:33, David Kastrup wrote:
Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> writes:

On 1/12/22 07:02, David Kastrup wrote:
Alasdair McAndrew <amca01@gmail.com> writes:

Emacs' LilyPond-mode is an abomination in desperate need of maintenance
or possibly rewriting from scratch.  There is no reason to use it unless
you are one of those people who use Emacs for everything (in contrast,
the mail/news client I am writing this in would be a reason to switch to
Emacs rather than vice versa.  As are the LaTeX modes).  However, it
probably has the only useable MIDI pitch recognition for polyphonic
entry like those of accordions.

If I needed to batch-convert some input regarding relative/absolute or
transpose, I'd likely start up Frescobaldi.  Never mind that it isn't
the one editor to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Can you give examples of what you don't like about Emacs?  I've been
happy with it for 20 years. I only use it for editing.
There are lots of people who repeatedly tried using Emacs and ditched
it, even for some kind of vi clone.  I am sympathetic to them (and I can
work vi and its clones perfectly well) but I am not one of them.

But the LilyPond-mode sucks.  Once it has decided on a wrong indentation
(and it does not indent embedded Scheme well, and it's one of those
things that may throw off its indentation altogether), it steadfastly
refuses to revert to the user-given indentation even if what throws it
off (wrongly) is pages above.
I sometimes spend a few minutes fixing the indent problems but that is my only complaint which could probably be fixed.
Writing chords <x x x> is one of those things which often throws it off;
you need to write < x x x > instead.  That's just BS.
I write <x x x> and it works.
As I said: nothing wrong with Emacs (except for lots of general things
that make people go elsewhere, with differing amounts of being relevant
in the long run), but LilyPond-mode is an abomination.

Even with the infrequent alignment problem I am quite happy with lilypond-mode.

Paul