Re: Articulations in Separate Voice

From: Gregory Hollands
Subject: Re: Articulations in Separate Voice
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 16:05:23 -0500

Lukas,

This solution sounds ideal.
I would prefer to add the articulations directly to the music and just filter them out when necessary.

-Greg

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 3:13 PM Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi Gregory,

> My goal is to be able to turn articulations on and off easily,
> especially for different versions of the same score.
>
> Questions
> 1. Is this the best way to separate articulations from the melody?
> 2. Is there a better way to turn articulations on and off?
> 3. How do I avoid collisions between the articulations and the note stems?

I think I'd just add the articulations directly to the music and filter
them out at a later stage. It's not hard to write a scheme function
that, for example, removes articulations of given types (here
downbow/upbow), and there were similar examples recently on this list.
(A recent change I made to LilyPond itself made that still easier, but
these will only be available publicly when 2.23.6 is released.)

Before I give an example: Would this method be acceptable for you?

Lukas